Saturday, August 8, 2009

The Newest and Best Public Space In New York












How the High Line Park ever came to exist is mind boggling. Real Estate interests wanted to demolish the rail line and two area residents created the Friends Of The High Line in 1999 and here today we have this gorgeous (if not yet completed) public space for walking high up above the streets.

Last night I happened to be near there---after escaping the Apple Store on 14th Street with my credit card still in my wallet--and decided to check it out. I'm glad I had my camera(wish I had my tripod!).

Then, after I walked the completed length up to 20th street a woman had just begun performing (Renegade Cabaret) off a fire escape. I understand there was a marching band there recently....last night was a woman in a red dress singing jazz.

No comments:

Post a Comment